Powell Hall History Erected in 1925 as the St. Louis Theatre, the building now known as Powell Symphony Hall was acquired by the St. Louis Symphony Society in 1966 through a $500,000 gift from Oscar Johnson, Jr., a longtime leader and benefactor of the Orchestra.

Founded in 1880, the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra is recognized internationally as an ensemble of the highest caliber, performing a broad musical repertoire with skill and spirit.